Make Linguistics Skill worthwhile

CovilleCoville Posts: 5Member Beginner
The current Linguistics skill is completely worthless.  All it allows you to do is make translation notes and dictionaries and since the notes are so plentiful and cheap is it a useless crafting skill.  I suggest you make it like Body Language skill.  When you want to read something you activate Linguistics.  The rate of success can be linked to how "hard" the language is and/or give a minimum skill rank needed to read a given language.  This would make the Interpreter job worth getting.
BlakeC

Comments

• theedgedemontheedgedemon Posts: 237Member Trainee
    you mean like a reading body language? 

that sounds like a great improvement to an otherwise forgettable skill!

should having a linguist in the party give chance to fleet members too? in theory expeditions had traditionally used translators instead of all members learning the native languages after all.
    Desire spawns madness, madness collapses into disaster.
    mankind never learns...
  • mondobogusmondobogus Posts: 57Member Beginner
    I agree with the OP completely! The other option is just remove the crap recipes found in shipwrecks...but I like the OP's suggestion better.
    IGN: AngelOfDeath / KnightWhoSaysNEE NI!
  • AvalorinAvalorin Posts: 1Member Beginner
    good idea. also making translation notes more rare, increasing the cost to learn language skills, and making linguistics a requirement to learn some languages such as Japanese, Chinese and Korean would be good too. if lemuria is found or atlantis returns, linguistics has great potential as an event key