African/Asian Character

dweylldweyll Posts: 6Member Beginner
Hello guys!

We could be able to use African and Asian 3D models to create our character... or maybe an unlockable feature from Aphrodite Mirror. :)

Comments

• crazyhunter2003crazyhunter2003 Posts: 763Member Intermediate
    not likely on a 13 year old game

IGN:JackO'Neil
  • schro69schro69 Posts: 37Member Beginner
    I think this is a cool idea that they should be able to add to the Aphrodite Mirror. Historically though, were there African and Asian captains sailing around under Spanish, Portuguese, English, Dutch etc. flags back then? (serious question, no racism please)
    “The danger of venturing into uncharted waters is not nearly as dangerous as staying on shore, waiting for your boat to come in.” - Charles F. Glassman
  • dweylldweyll Posts: 6Member Beginner
    @schro69 As far I know Barbary Pirates from South Mediterranean are almost all Africans, Mulai Ahmed er Raisuni was one of them.

• schro69schro69 Posts: 37Member Beginner
    @dweyll I know there were certainly African and Asian sailors, but all UWO Players have to start as one of the European Nations and fly under a European Flag. I could definitely be wrong, but historically speaking, I don't know that there were any African or Asian Captains that sailed under one of the game's European Nations' Flags back then.
    “The danger of venturing into uncharted waters is not nearly as dangerous as staying on shore, waiting for your boat to come in.” - Charles F. Glassman
  • dweylldweyll Posts: 6Member Beginner
    @schro69 During almost all Century XV Andaluzia (Iberia) was under Islamic rule, Granada was the last West European Emirate... Portugal conquested Ceuta at this time and used Moroccan collaborators to maintain the territory, including naval collaborators. We can configure dark skinned characters at regular character creation screen, I'm just suggesting the option of those nice 3D models we can't use.

For Asians, totally true, they had own exploration under own flags.

• kadamskadams Posts: 59Member Beginner
    I thought for sure they would eventually add such characters to the starting screen, and maybe add in another starting country - can't count the ones they added that are NPC only.

I suppose since we can't start from an Asian country and have to defect to Istanbul, they won't be adding any new character choices, but maybe part of the reason is something I guess a GM from way back (NetMarble) mentioned. Whether true or not, that GM mentioned that since Koei has other games to work on, the company allows 100 team hours work on UWO (weekly total?)

They have to create the new stuff for other servers and prepare older patches for our version. Then, for the stuff already in game they have to consider the things that might be making people quit playing. They've certainly made enough changes to adventuring to make it less challenging/frustrating than it was originally. Maybe they run out of time before they can get around to adding/altering what already works and doesn't cause people to quit. I know sometimes players may wish they had chosen different character options, but I doubt it makes them quit - especially when they can make those choices for their alt(s)!

If they do add new characters they better offer us a huge discount on mirrors (one free one would be nice!)