New Player Advice

hWimsickalhWimsickal Posts: 0Member Beginner
Hey guys, I'm a brand new sailor here. I'm really enjoying the game but I've gotten to a point where I'm not sure what I should be working towards/looking forward to. I've finished the merchant school in Sagres and I'm doing the adventure school right now as well because why not. I'm currently just kind of grinding out trade levels in Europe but it's quite slow. My question is just is there anything in particular that I should be working towards? If there isn't and I should just keep grinding my levels could someone offer advice on how to do it more efficiently or maybe the best trade routes to use. Any advice is appreciated.

Comments

• DanielFreedomHuntersDanielFreedomHunters Posts: 106Member Trainee
    The smart way to do it, is complete all 3 schools.  It will help you navigate the game and find what you like to do.   It will also help you open more regions of the Globe.  When you find an aspect of the game you like, go with it.   But in the end most players end up being a mix of Adv, Trade and Maritime.  As for Merchant, find a production skill to grind... Casting, Handi, Sewing, Storage or Cooking... If you want to ship build, go start with Casting or Handi.  If you want to go with Adv, then make sure you have observe, search, recognition, arch, theo and Appraisal.  If you like Adv, the old school way of doing was to work through the Egyptian Dungeons (all 3).  And they give you good land battle xp at the same time.   If you like to fight, then Dungeons give you your land battle fix, and think about doing Epic Sea Feud.  Talk to your company about it.  They can give you tips.   If you need a company, there are some great ones out there.   FreedomHunters, United_We_Stand, DutchCourage all in Amsterdam, TheCantina in London, to name a few.  
    purplepirate
    IGN: Daniel-San
    IG Nationality: Dutch
    Company: FreedomHunters
    Director
  • TwitchalotTwitchalot Posts: 263Member Intermediate
    Papaya Play needs to seriously consider the original school system, it worked well and if you followed the advice from others and a few guides like mine you went through both quickly and efficiently, finishing with enough ducats, consumables like POs, ships and + skill gear and the levels and fame to use them to get a good start in the game. One thing I see as a deterrent to new players wanting to play is the way the tutorial is presently set up. This to me is an "If it ain't broke don't fix it." thing that Papaya Play should rethink.
    Vashtie12FlorianGeyer
    IGN: Henrique_dePortugal, formerly CullumStraun - aka O Tigro Branco(The White Tiger)
    - Director of new_world_company
    Alt: Christopher_de_Haro, formerly William_Adams - temporary Deputy Director of new_world_company

Pay It Forward - It's what we do
  • laffielaffie Posts: 1Member Beginner
    Rememeber to DO IQ 
  • purplepiratepurplepirate Posts: 994Member Intermediate
    @twichalot papaya isn't responsible for the new school system that's Koei's doing.
    IGN: Samantha99
    OK, that KOEI should rethink xD. The thing is, thee old system worked very well for all of us who transferred when the reset happened. However, if KOEI has implemented the same new tutorial school system across all the UWO servers and won't budge, so be it on their heads. I'm just saying the old tutorial school system was more "welcoming'" and easier to do for newbies and the new one is, in my opinion, not as newbie friendly, comparatively speaking. And the one part of ANY mmo that SHOULD be as newbie friendly as possible is the tutorial.
    IGN: Henrique_dePortugal, formerly CullumStraun - aka O Tigro Branco(The White Tiger)
    Alt: Christopher_de_Haro, formerly William_Adams - temporary Deputy Director of new_world_company

I do agree that the old system is better but not ot because its easier. The old system should remain for one reason.. Its confusing for a new player to figure out even what sarges is let alone sail all the way there in a barca from somewhere like venice or london. Sure theres a liner but you can't take a liner somewhere until you discover that port (maybe i missed something but i tried a new toon and could not use the liner until after i discovered the port).

That being said, the purpose of sarges is to get new toons playing the game quicker. Many players complained about the old system because EVERYTIME they made a new toon they were forced to go through that looooonnnnnnggggg tutorial everytime.

Personally, i think they should've use both systems and given player a choice if they want to stick local to take their time or go all the way to sarges to do a speed course for school.
    Why did anyone complain about the length of the old tutorial for alts? It was optional.

You can click past most of it yes, but not all of it. And you still have to go though all the screens regardless. It's fine if you only play one character, but if you want to redo your character or build multiple characters then it gets annoyingly tedious. But for a first time player I say the old system is far superior and informative. I remember when i first played, I thought that the beginning was long but i enjoyed it and felt a real sense of accomplishment when i graduated and could finally set out to sea on my own.
    Actually, in the old system you could walk away from the whole school system once the Guild Master transported you to the school from the guild hall you start the game in. You just had to not register. Trust me, my #1 DD Northerner, had 17 accounts when the transfer happened, 2 toons at the time on each, and I guarantee he did not run any of his storage alts through the school at all, he'd use EA trade goods or spice to get their Trade up to lvl 23 to use the Advanced Trade School grad school ship for better goods storage and ability to transfer. But I do agree, it was a superior system, and I wrote a great school guide that got me honorable mention in the guide writing contest and thanks from quite a few players, the most noteworthy being Husien-Gazi himself. And as I said, if you heeded the advice of others, like your company mates or used a guide like mine, if you finished all 3 schools at at all 3 levels you had as you said, an excellent practical working knowledge of the game and enough ducats, consumables, + gear and ships and the levels to use them to get a great start in the game at large. I just hope KOEI didn't wipe that data.

well nobody said you had to do the school. You can also walk away from Sarges as well and just not do it but thats not what was discussed. We were comparing doing the schools systems.
  • CrzyPsycoChickCrzyPsycoChick Posts: 667Member Intermediate
    What to do next?  You just stumbled upon literally the best thing about this game...and the answer is anything you damn well please lol.

This game is so open ended and optional you can choose anything you want and you will still be correct there is no time limit and there is no wrong path.

My advice set a goal literally anything you want... I want to be the best sword maker in the game or I want to explore every sea in the game or I want to have the strongest company or be the best Ship builder anything you want and just go for it  the path will begin to open up to you of what to do next to achieve it.

My dream was to entertain the players of the game with a nightly performance so I started auctioning things publicly it was fun kept me involved in this game for years.  Started with me maxing out collection skill then getting cheap materials then learning to craft using those materials to sell then learning how to ship build so I could better appraise ships to auction and sell.  See how having a goal leads you down many paths to achieve it.

So pick a goal do what it takes to get it and sky's the limit.  Hope this helps :)
    Yep, once you finish the tutorial(if you go that route) or are just winging it(odd thing for a water ship's captain to do, wings are for flying ships, but whatever), CPC's advice is sage(no, not the seasoning), for if she ever returns in a significant way, a more experienced, thoughtful, tactful(both in battle and conversation), open minded and truly kind hearted player who wants what's best for all who love this game than my friend CPC you will not find.

• OwvinIIOwvinII Posts: 139Member Trainee
    http://forum.papayaplay.com/index.php?p=/discussion/367409/say-hello-to-the-sailor-trainers has information about how to make it to Sagres (even after the sailor trainer program ended): 

I quote: 

[If your character is from Spain or Portugal]: 

Speak to "Port Official" > Select "To Port" > Select "Liner" > Select "Santa Julia." Alternatively, you can sail there with your own ship (Sagres is close from Seville and Lisbon)

[If your character is NOT from Spain or Portugal]: 

You will need Port Permits to go to Sagres. Follow the Beginner Tutorial > Speak to the Shipyard Master and Market Keeper > Go back to your Guild > Complete 1 or 2 Quests until you get a prompt about the "Rumoured Training School."

purplepirate
    @Owvinll see thats the main problem with sarges, if you are no from spain or Portugal then you are at an immediate disadvantage not being able to get there. The old system didn't matter where you started, everyone was on equal ground. Sarges unbalances the game and complicates things for new players that have no reference from the start.

How dumb that you need to learn how to sail and trade before you can go to the starting school to learn how to sail and trade lol.
    Twitchalot
  • shamsmehra90shamsmehra90 Posts: 0Member Beginner
    Remember to do IQ