Should KOEI bring back the old school system, or what do u suggest?

FlorianGeyerFlorianGeyer Posts: 214Member Trainee
Hi all, 
there's a few discussions on the forum so far in what I saw she current schooling system was questioned and compared to the former one. I personally think there is a lot to say about both of the systems in either the positive and the negative way.
I will share my opinion in a reply to this discussion later on but for now, let's see how the majority of you think KOEI should set up the schooling system in UWO?

I've set up a poll, see link below and feel free to share your answer and next your opinion in reply to this discussion.

Yours,
 Flo!

DanielFreedomHunters
Be safe and prosper!

Comments

• TwitchalotTwitchalot Posts: 263Member Intermediate
    While the "have both" idea seems like the best route, it would be the most difficult for KOEI because it would create the most probabilities for glitching, I think IF they do go for a change, it'll be offering one or the other. Also, in the original school system, you could skip anything or the whole thing if you wanted. I'm just wondering why that was an option on the poll.
    IGN: Henrique_dePortugal, formerly CullumStraun - aka O Tigro Branco(The White Tiger)
    - Director of new_world_company
    Alt: Christopher_de_Haro, formerly William_Adams - temporary Deputy Director of new_world_company

Pay It Forward - It's what we do
  • purplepiratepurplepirate Posts: 994Member Intermediate
    Personally although the old system is longer, i think its better.
    TwitchalotDanielFreedomHunters
    IGN: Samantha99
  • FlorianGeyerFlorianGeyer Posts: 214Member Trainee
    The votecounter is still to low to be representative enough but yet I can see the old system is beeing missed :)

Come on community, share us your opinion please...

Yours,
     Flo!
    TwitchalotDanielFreedomHunters
    Be safe and prosper!
  • OwvinIIOwvinII Posts: 139Member Trainee
    Funny how a lot of people forgot the new-player directions to Sagres posted at the http://forum.papayaplay.com/index.php?p=/discussion/367409/say-hello-to-the-sailor-trainers has information about how to make it to Sagres (even after the sailor trainer program ended): 

I quote: 

[If your character is from Spain or Portugal]: 

Speak to "Port Official" > Select "To Port" > Select "Liner" > Select "Santa Julia." Alternatively, you can sail there with your own ship (Sagres is close from Seville and Lisbon)

[If your character is NOT from Spain or Portugal]: 

You will need Port Permits to go to Sagres. Follow the Beginner Tutorial > Speak to the Shipyard Master and Market Keeper > Go back to your Guild > Complete 1 or 2 Quests until you get a prompt about the "Rumoured Training School."

...and etc.

purplepirate
  • DanielFreedomHuntersDanielFreedomHunters Posts: 106Member Trainee
    Owvinll,

I appreciate that post... I will remember it when I cross paths with a new player.  It will help me, help them.  

But what about all the new players, who do not look at all the forums.  I did not read the forum first, and I struggle to figure out thing, how to get to Sagres.   And have played for years and know about skills, quests, and the mechanics of the game.  It is frustrating for a new player to try an complete 2 quests and note knowing any of that, just to be invited to start Sagres. 

This point was brought up in another forum post but, anyone reading the Say-Hello-To-The-Sailor-Trainers post, with a moment of thought, would sign up for Spain or Portugal, so you did not have to figure out 2 quests before you go to Training School.  That immediately puts all the other Nations at a disadvantage.  

There are simple things that can be done to make Sagres better (if a version of the old system is not an option):
    - In game, help new players find the Sailor's Guide and explain how use it.  
    - Make new players start by going to that Nations School, just to be told, what steps to do follow (like your forum post), to get to be invited to the "Rumoured Training School".  
    - In addition to visiting to the Ship Yard, Bank, Market Keeper and Guilds, make them go to the Company Admin NPC, so they can learn about a company and join one, so they have company mates to ask for help. 
    - And a dumb as it might sound, do a better job of explaining how to use a liner. 
    purplepirate
    IGN: Daniel-San
    IG Nationality: Dutch
    Company: FreedomHunters
    Director
    Not too many votes so far but I assume this declares different things <scares me>. 

First of all, I've been reading some player reviews (steam, game-review-sites,...) and most of them confirm the trend our little poll shows. There's little people satisfied with the current Sagres schooling system.This concerns both veteran and new players. To some new players apparently it even is a stopper for continuing playing the complex game UWO is.

Offcource a roleback here won't probably happen but allow me to share my concerns as I have well studied all reviews and even made some shocking conclusions out of it. Conclusions which I would definatly like to avoid as I am still a huge UWO fan.

One of the conclusions is that we are loosing way more newcomer players in their first few hours/days of playing then ever before. They just don't seem to figure it all out and decide to quit.
    Another conclusion; to a lot of current players the classic schooling system is some sort of a nostalgic part of the game which was crucial to learn the basics of even the simplest mechanic in-game. Now it's not there anymore newcomer players rely more and more on support of a good company, which I still hope every newcomer ends up with IN TIME.
    That said it is true that even in schoolchat you can notice a lack of activity and help which may be the direct result of having little newcomer players in the game so less activity in the schoolchat for what none is present to help them out.

All in shot, I'm afraid UWO is lacking the influx it needs to preserve its future. I'm not saying that's all because of the tutorial (schooling system) but there clearly is a link.
    Action here is required the sooner the better in my opinion.

Apart from that, I must say I'm pleased to see a satisfying amount of active players sailing around these days.

Yours,
     Flo!
    purplepirateTwitchalot
    Be safe and prosper!
    As i suggested in another thread about this, the best way would be to have option right when you make a new character...

1) "I'm a first time player" Where you would do the old system for beginner and intermediate school, then do sarges for advanced school.

2)"I've played before" Where it would be the current system of sarges only for all 3 schools.

I think this is the simplest, best solution for this problem. I agree that the confusion the current system is a prime factor to why new players are diminishing.
    FlorianGeyer
    I think that in the long run if KOEI really wants to increase new player retention they have to change the school system back to the original one, at least on Maris. We keep getting told by KOEI  that "Things are different on Maris because it's FTP", meaning some things that all other UWO servers have are not on the Maris server, like SSB as a Memorial Album reward or the Special Turkish Dress Sewing book in the game. OK. That's what I'm saying. On Maris, things are different. To increase player retention(meaning more $$ to Papaya), the original school tutorial needs to be re-implemented. Take Sarges out or leave it in, I don't care, except that leaving it in is a risk for glitching. But putting the old school system in will do more to further player retention on Maris than either KOEI or Papaya realize, and I hope they don't realize it too late. I've just returned as a regular player, and want this great game to carry on long after my condition stops me from being able to play anymore, and the re-implimenting original tutorial would do wonders towards that by increasing new player retention.
    IGN: Henrique_dePortugal, formerly CullumStraun - aka O Tigro Branco(The White Tiger)
    Alt: Christopher_de_Haro, formerly William_Adams - temporary Deputy Director of new_world_company

Since this is related to the new player retention discussion, I'll put this here. Another thing that would help is have a section in the Forums called Player Guides for the guides so they're easier for new players to find.
    OwvinIIXMarksTheSpotWildDiscoveryCrzyPsycoChick

bump
  • drelkaggamingdrelkaggaming Posts: 1Member Beginner
    I never got to try the old school system but it sounds like it done a much better job at guiding newer players.

Wish I had the chance to go through it.
    sourstart
  • sourstartsourstart Posts: 13Member Beginner
    Same here, I wish I could have experience the good old school system. Probably I could have understood better. hehe just saying
  • rangerzfanrangerzfan Posts: 96Member Beginner
    Sagres can not be removed due to Folklore quests being tied to the port, but opening up an option to either use Sagres school or the old system would be great. The old school buildings are still there and need to be used. Koei and PP seem to be their own worse enemy on Maris for player retention. Trolls can be ignored, poor management is hard to overcome.  

ign: RangerB
    Director
    DutchCourage - Amsterdam
    In fact I still have a toon I started back in the beginning of the Maris server. He is doing the classic schooling system still today it is accessible if at least u stepped into it back then. So all the technical abilities to make the schoolsystem work are still there. No clue why they don't activate it. It would be so nice to see it back.  All those memories...

Yours Flo!
    Be safe and prosper!